Saturday, December 15, 2012

Birds & Beasts




Mark Hearld is a York-based artist and designer known for his prints and collages 
inspired by his love for the beauty of the British countryside and its wildlife.
I have been a fan of Mark's work for a while, and would love to be able to visit 
 Birds and Beastshis ongoing exhibition at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. 

 (love his lettering, by the way)




Hearld studied illustration at Glasgow College of Art and natural history illustration 
at the Royal College of Art. Now a successful and prolific artist, he exhibits around the UK, 
and receives design commissions ranging from movie sets to fabrics and ceramics. 




"The briefest glance around Mark Hearld’s York flat tells you that this is the home 
of an artist, an animal lover and, clearly, a hoarder". (BBC Homes and Antiques, 2010)
I appreciate all these qualities, and also love the fact that Mark somehow reminds me
of many other quintessentially British things and people I love...



This was a very productive year for Hearld: among other projects, he illustrated the children's book
 A First Book of Naturehis first wallpaper Harvest Hare received the Elle Decoration British Design Award, 
and Merrell published his first monograph, the gorgeous Work Book.


Harvest Hare
This latest show features collages in hand-painted frames, 
wooden animals decorated by hand, ceramics, limited edition lithographs, 
linocuts, and a collection of found objects.




Hearld always works closely with skilled craftsmen to realise his ideas, 
and for this event he has collaborated with a Stoke-based mould maker 
to produce a series of limited edition ceramic hares.



Photos courtesy of the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and St.Jude.


Birds and Beasts runs until the 17th of February, 
if you make it there let me know how it was!

6 comments:

  1. WOW beautiful pictures! really nice. I loved the fox and the birds! such a nice place to be. Chech it out my own blog, it's about amigurumis! http://amigurumichallenge.blogspot.com/
    I hope you like my page as i liked your!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I luckily caught the YSP event on the day Mark was doing a book signing. There's a few more pics here http://fishinkblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/mark-hearld-exhibition-at-yorkshire-sculpture-park/ Such a great event. Loved reading about it from another perspective too, regards Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, nice to meet you both and thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this! I had never heard of Mark, but now I have and I love his work. I love animal art imagery. I have a hand lettered and illustrated blog about my cats. cattywumpuscats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura, thanks so much for sharing all these lovely and inspirational images! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails